The New & Recent Graduate Program provides a one-year AAA + one (1) section membership to graduates who are/were affiliated with partner institutions of the Department Services Program (DSP). This initiative began in 2017 as an effort to ensure that recent graduates had access to professional development resources. Since then, ~40 graduates per year have been nominated by their departments.
Graduates must meet all of the requirements below:
- Graduated with a MA/MS or PhD
- Received their degree within the past 12 months
- Received their degree in Anthropology (one of the four fields or joint areas)
- Received their degree from an active DSP partner (check the AnthroGuide for a DSP badge on the profile)
- Have not previously received a complimentary AAA membership
Who is eligible to nominate a candidate?
- The chair/department head of an active DSP partners program
- A student may self-nominate if the department they graduated from is an active DSP Partner
What are the benefits?
- 1-year free national membership
- 1-year free section membership of choice
- All AAA Professional Member Benefits
How to Nominate a Graduate
- The chair/department head of an active DSP Partner may nominate candidates for this program by completing and submitting a nomination form
- A student who graduated from an active DSP Partner may self-nominate by completing and submitting a nomination form, making sure to link their transcript
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What happens after the complimentary year ends?
The membership will automatically transfer to the “professional” category.
Who pays the membership dues for the new graduate?
The membership is complimentary and the dues are waived for both the AAA and section dues.
Are sections sponsoring the new graduate?
AAA sections are not sponsoring the new graduate.
If I receive this complimentary membership after I obtain an MA/MS, can I receive it again if I obtain a PhD?
You may only be awarded the New and Recent Graduate Program complimentary membership once.
Can I postpone the complimentary membership to a future date?
Membership activation may not be delayed or postponed to a future date, and is in effect immediately upon approval.
What if the recent graduate’s degree isn’t specifically in Anthropology?
If the degree was obtained under an active DSP Partnership, their degree doesn’t have to specifically be in Anthropology, but can be one of the four subfields or joint areas.
What if I’m a recent graduate, but my department is not a DSP Partner?
Send an invitation to your department faculty/chair and let them know you want them to join as a DSP Partner so you can become eligible for the New and Recent Graduate program.