Anthropology Day went virtual this year but that didn’t stop anthropologists across the globe from celebrating. Here’s a snapshot of this year’s Anthropology Day.
Official Anthropology Day Participants
Representing 15 countries and regions: US, Canada, Ecuador, India, Italy, Trinidad and Tobago, Cuba, Bangladesh, the Netherlands, Nepal, Prague, Australia, Pakistan, and Germany. Students from several African countries participated in partnership with the Association for the Anthropology of Social Change and Development (APAD).
Total registered groups: 244
- 179 Departments/Clubs (including 20 Community colleges)
- 18 K-12 Schools/Programs (up from 4 officially registered last year)
- 47 (Businesses, museums, and other groups not affiliated with a university
K-12 schools had the opportunity to express interest in partnering with an anthropologist for the day. The following K-12 schools were matched with a club or department:
- arc After School Middle School, Los Angeles, CA
- arc After School Program HS, Valley Glenn, CA
- arc Wallis Annenberg HS, Torrance, CA
- Valley Charter Middle School, Van Nuys, CA
AAA Sponsored Webinars
- Anthro Day Kick-off – January 21, 2021
- 47 participants from around the globe including India and Argentina.
- Captivating & Curious Careers in Anthropology on February 18, 2021. Presenters included Ed Liebow, Daniel Ginsburg, and Jeff Martin from the AAA. Attendees included students from George C. Marshall High School and George Mason High School in Falls Church, VA.
Social Media Contest
We asked our followers on Twitter and Facebook to answer the question, “How does anthropology impact our everyday lives?”
Here are the contest results:
- 1st place – Sierra Malis, Mississippi State University ($200 Gift Card) https://twitter.com/sierrawmalis/status/1362478951734607878
- Runner-up – Sarah Jarrar, University of New Hampshire ($100 Gift Card)
All official K-12 participants were entered into a drawing to receive a $200 gift card. The winning school was Mission Bay High in San Diego.
- Anthro to UX Podcast – “Increasing the Visibility of Anthropology”
- That Anthro Podcast
- The Archaeology Show – Episode featuring Executive Board member, Kathryn Sampeck.
- The Dirt Podcast LIVE
- Zora’s Daughters – Episode featuring ABA President, Riché J. Daniel Barnes.
- Alysane Society (India) – Connected them with Taapsi Ramchandani for a guest lecture.
- AnthroBD (Bangladesh) – Connected them with Zahir Ahmed for a certificate ceremony.
- AnthroDay Milano – The three-day event had more than 2,500 registrants and featured 40 online events!
- Anthropology Arts “Gold,” lesson. Created for kids aged 5 -10, students will compare and contrast the use of Gold across several cultures.
- Anthropology Graduate Student Association (AGSA) – VR Anthropology Day!
- Escape the Haffenreffer Virtual Escape Room
- Escape Room at Idaho State University
- Kellogg Honors College – Film screening of, Daughter, Sister, Mother, followed by a Q&A with the filmmaker
- The University of Louisiana Lafayette with guest speaker, Dr. Elizabeth Briody.
We encourage you to search #AnthroDay on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn to see the hundreds of inspirational posts from your fellow anthropologists.