World Anthropologies is a vibrant global project that seeks to broaden circulation and meaningful engagement with the knowledge being produced outside of the dominant centers of anthropological production – works of colleagues that, because of English language dominance, state and university funding and support, international journal rankings, racism, and other repressive social and political mechanisms, do not circulate much beyond regional networks. There’s a long history to this labor both within the AAA and among anthropologists working through major international networks. We hope you will join us in these efforts to enrich our discipline with the global diversity of anthropological scholarship and to foster more equitable and inclusive practices.
Want your scholarship and courses to better reflect the international diversity of contemporary anthropological knowledge and practice? Start with these freely available resources and incorporate more global diversity into your work and your syllabi.
- IUAES Congresses
- Follow the World Anthropological Union (WAU) on Social Media
Contact the World Anthropologies seats on the AAA’s Members Programmatic Advocacy and Advisory Committee to share your ideas and resources for making our global disciplinary politics and practices more equitable:
Emily Metzner, moc.liamg@renztemylime
Noel B. Salazar, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The World Anthropological Union (WAU), is a major resource that unites the World Council of Anthropological Associations and the International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, invigorating international dialogues and stimulating cooperative exchange among anthropological associations.
- The Open Anthropology Research Repository (OARR) is a community server established by the American Anthropological Association to improve and accelerate the discovery and dissemination of anthropological work, including preprints, teaching materials, and papers and posters presented at disciplinary meetings worldwide in any language.
Learn and Teach
Bibliography on World Anthropologies from the AAA’s former Committee on World Anthropologies
- Deja Lu
- Anthropology journals from Around the Globe
- En Sus Proprios Terminos
- World Anthropologies section of American Anthropologist
- Plural. Revista de la Asociación Latinoamericana de Antropología
- Boletín CEAS (Colegio de Etnólogos y Antropólogos Sociales)
More digital/ized collections:
- Anthropen, Dictionnaire francophone d’anthropologie
- Theory from the South (Society for Cultural Anthropology)
- Diálogos con la Antropología Latinoamericana, Libros de la Asociación Latinoamericana de Antropología
- Videos of anthropologists talking about World Anthropologies or anthropology in their countries
Berghahn Books series:
- European Anthropology in Translation
- Asociación Latinoamericana de Antropología book series