This committee organizes and reviews the nominations for specific AAA Awards and selects a recommended winner for each AAA award
Duration of Committee
Term of Office
Committee Reports to
AAA Executive Board
- Organize and review information regarding the nominations and recommend winners for the following AAA awards:
- The Franz Boas Award for Exemplary Service to Anthropology;
- The Anthropology in Media Award;
- The Robert B. Textor and Family Prize for Excellence in Anticipatory Anthropology; and
- The AAA/Oxford Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Coordinate with the SfAA for the Margaret Mead Award to ensure that winner is selected in a timely way.
- Committee members are encouraged to attend the Awards Ceremony at the AAA Annual Meetings where they will be recognized by the AAA President
- Work with AAA liaison in notifying nominators of their requirement to write encomia for their nominee. Encomia will be used for print publications (AN/Program) and used for awards ceremony.
- Review any new proposals for new AAA association level and Section level awards
Membership and Appointment
Five-member committee including the chair
Committee members are appointed by the president with one seat designated for a student
This committee is chaired by an appointed member of the Executive Board
The appointment of the new chair is made the year prior to the departure of the sitting chair. This is an ex-officio non-voting role.
If members are unable to devote appropriate time relative to the delegated tasks and fail to perform the duties of the Committee, the AAA Executive Board may remove a member from the position by a 2/3 vote of the EB.
A written report to the Executive Board. Committees will include comments on issues and/or recommendations to the Executive Board in one of their annual reports to the Executive Board. These might be problems in fulfilling group objectives and responsibilities or in fulfilling tasks listed in the SIP, the need for additional resources, recommended changes to the group charge (objectives, responsibilities, products/outcomes), and recommended changes to the committee structure or membership.
Meetings and Schedule
Committee meets in the spring by phone and email
Staff Liaison and contact information
Meagan Shirley, Executive Office Coordinator, American Anthropological Association, 2300 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 1301, Arlington, VA 22201, (o) 703/528-1902, (f) 703/528-3546, gro.orhtnanacirema@yelrihsm.
Date Created or Revised
March 17, 2023